Vinod Khanna, Bollywood Star and Osho Sannyasin, dies at 70

• Celebrated Bollywood star, politician and sannyasin, Vinod Khanna has died aged 70
  • The actor’s career spanned four decades and over 100 films
Vinod-at-Tapoban1
Vinod in Blue
Khanna died of advanced bladder cancer on Thursday morning, said Tushar Pania, from the HN Reliance Foundation and Research Centre in Mumbai.
Dubbed Bollywood’s “original heartthrob,” Khanna had reportedly been battling cancer for several years.
Last month, he was hospitalized in Mumbai due to severe dehydration and bladder cancer, according to a report in the Hindustan Times. A photograph of him in a hospital gown looking very frail went viral on social media.
In a career spanning over four decades, Khanna acted in over a 100 films.
He’s best remembered for his performances in movies such as “Mera Gaon, Mera Desh,” (“My Village, My Country”), “Gaddaar,” (“Traitor”), “Kuchhe Dhaage,” (“Fragile Threads”), “Amar, Akbar, Anthony,” which he co-starred in with fellow superstar Amitabh Bachchan, and “Qurbani,” (“Sacrifice”) — one of several films for which he received a Filmfare Award nomination, India’s equivalent to an Oscar.

From villain to hero

Khanna was born on October 6, 1946 in Peshawar, British India, now Pakistan. Soon after the partition of India and Pakistan that year, his family moved to Mumbai.

He made his acting debut in 1968 in “Man Ka Meet,” (“A Pairing of Hearts”), where he played the villain, a trend that continued for much of the start of his career.
Three years later, he made the successful transition to the “hero” and played the lead role in “Hum, Tum or Woh,” (“Me, You and Them”).
In 1982 he left the industry for five years and became a follower of  Osho, He was a resident on the Ranch in Oregon.
In 1999, he received the Filmfare Lifetime Achievement Award and less than a decade later, in 2007, he won the ZEE Cine Lifetime Achievement Award.

Khanna was also a well-known politician. In 1997 he joined the current ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).

The following year, he was elected to India’s lower house of parliament. He was elected four times from his constituency in the northern state of Punjab.
The current PM of India, Narendra Modi,  said:  ‘Will always remember Vinod Khanna as a popular actor, dedicated leader & a wonderful human. Pained by his demise. My condolences.’ … .  accolades from that nationalist need to be tempered… !
Vinod Khanna makes a victory sign during an election campaign rally on the outskirts of Gurdaspur, India.

Despite his move into politics, Khanna continued to act with his latest film being 2015′s “Dilwale,” (“The Big Hearted”).
Khanna is survived by his second wife Kavita, his children Rahul, Akshaye, Sakshi and Shraddha.

44 Responses to Vinod Khanna, Bollywood Star and Osho Sannyasin, dies at 70

1. sw. veet (francesco) says:

I do not know exactly where, but RIP.
    With 88 million subscriptions the Bjp should also have a secular or buddhist current.

Ciao,

VF

2. kusum says:

Remembering Vinod Khanna as very good looking & friendly man. RIP.

3. kusum says:

Vinod khanna….

I can recall when Vinod showed up in the ashram during the late seventies. I wondered what all the fuss was about. A typical contradiction in that he was obviously a somebody, when the basic idea back then that was being promoted was to be a nobody.

• Parmartha says:

Right, Lokesh:
      Can remember also people like Terence Stamp when they turned up.
      The ‘organisation’ did those guys no favours by giving them all favours. They already had ego, and they should have begun to become nobodies, but of course they remained somebodies very much.

• madhu dagmar frantzen says:

Yes, without almost any exceptions, organized religions and their cults are well known for using so-called celebrities when they show any talents for preaching ´stances’, to become more known in the so-called media and otherwise world – Buddhists included, btw.

The here added pic, like some other pics, left me with the feeling of relief never to have had met the celebrity man and his entourage personally .

However, he is gone, gone beyond now, and nothing is said by himself or can be said about how he himself took the journey, especially the last phase he encountered then in his late lifetime.

Madhu

..and so it goes…
        In the end, it`s all about bums on seats, or bums on meditation cushions, and celebs are seen as the quick route to get it.

Only a few days ago, I was talking to a chap I am friendly with who is a regular at Amma`s ashram in South India. He was telling me that he has met Russell Brand there on a couple of occasions. Apparently, Russell Brand gets VIP treatment and access all areas when he stays there.

“Amma is very smart, she sees that he has a following and that she can use it for the good of humanity…”, he explained, “and he sees through the celebrity trip and wants something spiritual.”

Oddly, my friend never mentioned the words ‘ego’ and ‘illusion’, which he is usually fond of doing when referring to worldly people who spend their lives chasing money, power, girls and a good time.

Spiritual people,eh?
        Bloody `ell!

One the other side, one can consider the fact that one celeb triggers the egos of 1000 average guys – a good zen stick.

• madhu dagmar frantzen says:

There is no “average guy”; that´s the Zen stick, Satchit; and that one, you imagine to be working (´triggering´ 1000 egos as you put it) does not work at all, but contributes unfortunately a lot to the so-called deterioation index of the whole movement.

However, also in our Sannyas movement there have been some who really caught the ´vibe, I more than guess, and have been transformed.

Yet that has not been a ´noisy´procedure for the rest…it never is….

And that´s the good news.

Madhu

Looks like you have misunderstood me, Madhu.
              First, one has to ask why does a ‘celebrity’ exist? It exists because of comparing. He is more known to the world than me. And who compares?

It is always the ego that compares.
              So no comparing – no celebrity.
              No water – no moon.

Satchit says, “It is always the ego that compares.”
                This is utter shite. All logical thought is based on comparison. Without drawing comparisons we would be in a complete mess. It is mechanical as in, ‘should I turn right or left at the next junction?’ This has nothing to do with ego and everything to do with how our logical mind works.

Satchit goes on to conclude,
                “So no comparing – no celebrity.
                No water – no moon.”

“It is mechanical as in, ‘should I turn right or left at the next junction?’ This has nothing to do with ego and everything to do with how our logical mind works.”

Ego is the will to survive that comes from the animal world.
                  So ego has to know:Is this a bread or a stone to eat? Is this an enemy or a friend?

“Satchit goes on to conclude,
                  “So no comparing – no celebrity.
                  No water – no moon.”
                  A good example of someone talking as if he understands something deeply significant, when in reality he does not.”

Sometimes you are really funny, Lokesh.
                  To judge me as blind you have to be a knower.
                  You and I know that this is not this.
                  One calls this shooting oneself in the foot, isn’t it?

Oh right, Satchit, in other words you mean that I know that you know that I know that you know that I know that you know that I know that you know that I know that you know, or something like that.

I disagree.

There was a old chap called Satchit
                  Who talked a load of absolute bat shit
                  He thought his wisdom was 24 carat
                  But in fact he was just a retarded parrot
                  Who had an itch on his arse and had to scratch it.

• madhu dagmar frantzen says:

No, Satchit,

I didn´t misunderstand you; yet I spoke about a climate for growth, when living human Beings are coming together and spoke about the issue that nobody living is an island – inter-dependence: an issue less and less remembered on the ´viral’ lane.

Sure enough – on the viral ( artificial-technical ) lane, a ´spiritual bot´ can – easy as easy can be – stop any humanly meeting by quoting ´no-water-no-moon´ or ‘advaita’ quotes and can do that also by commenting on a deterioration issue of a Sangha, a gathering of friends of Meditation and living human beings with all their frailties and imperfections.

The loss of standards re being together and re exchange can be – and is – easily denied on the viral lane (and not only there).

Too bad – in my eyes – and according to my understanding of a coming together.

Somebody called Vinod Khanna, a human being, completed his journey in the body. Had – besides much other stuff, I guess – a Sannyas episode in an Ashram in Pune.
                And just look what´s coming up and together here as a kind of ‘send-off’.

Its a shame, I would say.

He doesn´t care anymore. Probably.

But do we ?

Madhu

P.S:
                Don´t you feel, that besides social bots, spiritual bots are happening in an increasing number, Satchit?
                That´s at least my impression.

First I had to check out what you mean by “bot”. So you think that I am a computer programme? Don’t worry this is not the case, Madhu!

I am still surprised how old sannyasins like you or Lokesh are easily affected by innocent words like “no water – no moon”. Hey, these are only words!

The whole thing reminds me a bit of that transformation card: the
                  farmer and the wheat.

• madhu dagmar frantzen says:

@ Satchit (2 May, 2017 at 12:55 pm)

You write, Satchit:
                  “I can understand, Madhu, that you want it sweet here and always singing Hallellujah. I also want a Rolls – does life give me one? No.”

And you show therewith, that you do not know ´a thing´, but also do not like to take the faintest effort to become a little bit more acquainted with humans like me, who is posting on this website regularly for about three and a half years, and everybody interested to respond can read it or take a little effort for research.

If you wold have done that you wouldn´t have written such bullshit, which I quoted above – coming from your corner.

Madhu

Very smart from you.
                  Why not be honest and call me a spiritual bot directly?
                  It’s really an old game to depreciate somebody who’s comments one does not like.

It does not impress me much that you post already more than three years in this biotope.

5. kusum says:

On youtube.com, ‘Vinod Khanna last speech before death goes viral’.

Living in denial is wonderful.
    How many sannyasins know Sri Sri Ravi Shankar was the living master of late Vinod Khanna?

• Kavita says:

Shantam, probably you know only facts about yourself concerning your Master!

Seems anyway, you love creating fiction on behalf of others/for those who are not there to defend themselves on such intimate matters; whether they are alive or dead hardly matters to you!

• shantam prem says:

Kavita, I care more about facts than fictions. It is not my business if it hurts the religious sentiments of others.

I have a first person account post by late Vinod Khanna expressing his gratitude and love for his guru ji i.e Sri Sri Ravi Shankar. I will try to post this whatsapp post as evidence.

• Kavita says:

Probably you are talking about this article:

I have read it , but didn’t think it implied that SSRS is Vinod Khanna’s Master. Anyway, guess each one of us has our own religious sentiments but in this case you are again deviating for your own persistent agenda.

• swamishanti says:

Khanna- it has connection to food in Hindi, right?
            Does the name imply some connection to eating?
            Like popping a handful of cardomons in your mouth, perhaps.
            (I have just tried this as an experiment and found it disappointing).

• shantam prem says:

This is the material.
            Thanks, Kavita, for sharing the contents in an article form.
            Readers can create their own conclusion after going through these honest expressions.

I find such a perspective limited in the extreme. I also believe it is untrue.

• Kavita says:

”I read the article. Towards the end it concludes, “Without the guidance of your Guru there is no way you can progress in meditation or evolve spiritually.”

I find such a perspective limited in the extreme. I also believe it is untrue.”

This reminds me of reading somewhere that it is a very rare occurrence to evolve without a Master, but it is not my experience; guess nothing is impossible!

• shantam prem says:

Indian mind has the notion, Masters are the wholesale and retail agent for selling flats, apartments, villas and bungalows in Godly kingdom.

If you follow the advice of your really real estate agent, you may even get premium location at discount price!

The buyers who lost everything in the crash are looking for a Samadhi with all mod cons in peaceful location, close to good mystery schools in sought-after area.

Unfortunately, Osho invested heavily in sub-prime opportunist western buyers looking for bargains with quick profits and no onward chain and the dishonesty and greed led to a boom and bust.

Shantam also invested and borrowed heavily from Osho`s energy, become absurdly inflated then inevitably crashed, and has been left claiming spiritual housing benefit with no chance of now ever getting back on the enlightenment ladder

Meanwhile, egotistical profiteering Anglo-Saxons at the Resort have made it impossible for first-time buyers to find their spiritual home, leading to an epidemic of spiritual homelessness, so dharmic destitutes desperate to get on the enlightenment ladder have fallen prey to advaitisements of unscrupulous blisstate agent franchises in Tiruvanamalai and other spiritual property hotspots.

Frank, very clever post. Most engaging. Made me chuckle.

• Kavita says:

Shantam, how I wish there would be a peaceful surrounding instead of a discount price!

• Kavita says:

Khaana is food/eat. I just found out on the net, Khanna is a place where fodder is cut.

Mint-flavoured cardamom seeds are used as mouth fresheners; did try but me too not a fan of these.

7. swamishanti says:

An article from ‘Times of India’ on Vinod’s spiritual side.
    Apparently he was interested in TM for a while before meeting Osho:

8. Kavita says:

After reading Frank’s fantastic, 2 May, 2017 at 9:06 pm post, I am wondering if existentially, thanks to the “egotistical profiteering Anglo Saxons at the Resort”, that the other living masters got a chance to flourish!

Cheers, chuckle brothers and sisters.

But it`s a serious business – prices in des res areas on the Nirvana Road are skyrocketing with seekers paying through the nose to get away from the unconscious masses and into gatelessly-gated communities.

These days, it seems you`ve got to have a job in finance in order to be able to afford to get on the enlightenment ladder!

K – watch out for those masters and blisstate agents – they might offer you places with strong potential, ideal for first-time buyers with en-suite chakras in up-an-coming areas, but then turn out to be slum landlords!

• Kavita says:

Frankie, in a way, thank God, it won’t be the first time, a bit of once bitten…but thanks anyway for cautioning, bro!

• shantam prem says:

Believe me, Frank, during my last evening walk on the back lanes of Koregaon Park, I went to see once the famous Indian village – it fits exactly with your description. Makes me grateful that I had the opportunity to squat in places that now go for millions!!

• swamishanti says:

So , Shantam, you were there at the Resort but not even a couple of eggs hurled over the wall?

• swamishanti says:

Shantam, just a few eggs hurled over the wall or even a live chicken could have created a stir with the management, and left an impression.

You could have even appeared in the media.

9. kusum says:

http://pune mirror.indiatimes.com/entertainment/bollywood/bollywood-grieves-for-vinod-khanna/articlehow/58502470.cms

10. kusum says: