The Nitrous Books (23 posts)

• Profile picture of Parmartha Parmartha said 8 years, 3 months ago:

According to Devageet, Osho’s personal dentist (in a 1998 preface to ‘Books I Have Loved’), Osho dictated three books under the influence of nitrous oxide from the dental chair. They were “Glimpses of a Golden Childhood”, Notes of a Madman” and “Books I have Loved”. In the 1985 edition of these books Devageet says they were dictated in the last year or so of Poona One (1979-81),Whilst this belies the view that Osho was out of it on nitrous oxide on the Ranch, later editions of these books do say that they were dictated in the early Ranch period. Whose to say?!

I have met few, if any, people who do not feel that both ‘Glimpses’ and ‘Notes’ add to the Osho canon. I also feel in instructing these books to be published in 1985 Osho himself wanted to blow a few people’s minds!!

However here I want to ask here where a fourth and fifth book are, mentioned in the literature. A fourth book that was never written or never published was one that Osho requested Devageet to write and with the title authorised by Osho himself, ‘Bhagwan: the first Buddha in the Dental Chair’. (as mentioned in Viha Connection, July, 1998). As far as I know this book, if written, has never seen the light of day, though in recent times Devageet (after he left the 21, the group left by Osho to run the temporal affairs of his organisation) has been more forthcoming about the dental sessions.

Finally a fifth book that certainly has never seen the light of day is ‘The Philosia of Existence’ Osho’s so-called last book, which Osho dictated to Anando his Secretary in the last year of his life during meals. On this book, disciples do have a right I think to ask why they have not seen it, and have answer. One suspects that it too, may throw even more light on Osho’s relationship to Priestley’s gas.

The fact that Osho was interested in psychedelics has always been hidden from view by his minders and publicists. However in embracing the whole man it is inconceivable that it should be ignored.

• Profile picture of Deleted User said 8 years, 3 months ago:

Parmartha . . l wonder whether these sannyassins / disciples you mentioned above . . shall ever in their life time be able to work with the same intensity as & when he was in his body . . l wish lam wrong . . :)

Osho probably was susceptible to that which is around him . . which is natural . . he didnt say no to anything as such . . he did listen if he needed to . . l have heard many stories of him indulging in whimsies of the people around him . . like even visiting a cabaret bar in Colaba / Bombay in his Bombay days with Chachu / Sw Krishna Arup (lndian) & friends on their request . . there is always a chance of him injoying this psychedelic indulgence . . l guess embracing the whole man is the most wonderful choice l / we have . . which actually is choiceless . . :)

thats true Lokesh . . that l didnt have a chance to see him . . but love for me is not matter . . take your time . . no body can be in a hurry atleast virtually . . :)

sharing Anando’s link . . which she shared on FB . .

http://www.lifetrainings.com/Why-the-Law-of-Attraction-doesnt-work.html

• Profile picture of Lokesh Lokesh said 8 years, 3 months ago:

Interesting link, Kavita. Makes me think of all the prosperity consciousness ideas floating around on the sannyasin scene when Poona One folded. Suddenly I was back in materialistic Europe after ten years in India and facing the harsh realities of the world without money. I started visualizing a tap, open and pouring lots of money into my empty wallet. It kind of worked.

• Profile picture of Lokesh Lokesh said 8 years, 3 months ago:

To be honest, Kavita. I would not suggest to you that you should try LSD. Something tells me that is something you should definitely stay away from. Apart from that, good LSD is not see easy to find these days and if one does happen upon it I sugget it be treated with the utmost respect. It is a very powerful substance.

• Profile picture of sannyasnews sannyasnews said 8 years, 3 months ago:

Thanks for your posts Lokesh. Parmartha here.
    The question of whether the gaseous stuff was part of Osho’s private life (and where it should remain), has been brought up by critics of mine, when I wrote about this issue some years before.
    However, ironically enough Sheela and her cohorts strongly opposed the publication of those three books back in 1984/5 and there was apparently a whole conflab. Then Vivek joined in and for once (a very rare occurence!) agreed with Sheela that Osho should not draw attention to his “boy’s games”!
    However Osho insisted on publication against both parties…. the illustrations in the original Notes of a Madman were changed at the last minute. They were intended to include pics of Osho in the dental chair, but replaced by those ridiculous landscape shots of the Ranch, etc!! – because by that time they all knew the shit was about to hit the fan.
    So one cannot say that Osho wanted this to be a private life thing. He wanted to teach or attract some subset of people through it and frankly I think it makes him more of a “real” man than the “good” person his publicists sometimes wanted and want.
    Also when i was first in Poona in 1974/5 I had the distinct impression that Osho was very interested in the Goa hippies as prospective disciples and saw LSD, etc as a very good preparation for meditation? He always seemed to give them plenty of juice whenever I was in a darshan at that time.
    Interested in his darshan with you re LSD, is it in any of the darshan diaries?

• Profile picture of Shahriar Shahriar said 8 years, 3 months ago:

I think that the books which Osho has published under the influence of Nitrous Oxide are some of his best, especially his two books Glimpses of a Golden Childhood and Books I have Loved. It has been a while since I read his book Notes of a Madman so I can’t say anything about that one.

Parmartha . . Lokesh & the rest of u who might have read them . . l deleted some of my post last night . . just needed to delete them & also needed to let you’ll know . . :)

Lokesh . . thank u dear for your gentle-ness . . :)

Lokesh . . even though l didnt see him in his body . . when l was gaurding Lao Tzu house gate . . l could feel as though he was still in his room . . infact when l shared this with Mukta . . she just smiled . . even though now l discard it as my hallucination . . :)

• Profile picture of Parmartha Parmartha said 8 years, 3 months ago:

Kavita you write:
    “l wonder whether these sannyasins / disciples you mentioned above . . shall ever in their life time be able to work with the same intensity as & when he was in his body .”
    I am not sure what you mean here, do you mean those disciples that were in Osho’s “Noah’s Ark” as he called his dental team, or disciples such as myself who would like to read unpublished, (hithertoo) books that may throw even more insight into this avenue of Osho’s work.
    By the way, intensity is not all – sometimes being “laid back” is much more instructive!

Parmartha . . it was some sort of a ” Noah Ark ” l have not been present during his time so l cannot really say exactly . . probably what l meant was not only about books or any thing in particular . . it feels as though everyone . . including me . . suddenly realize their time is going out of style . . it could also mean that l / we suddenly dont need to wear many garbs . .

” By the way, intensity is not all – sometimes being “laid back” is much more instructive! ” l do agree to that . . :)

• Profile picture of shantam shantam said 8 years, 3 months ago:

Only one drug is bad..and that is the power drug.
    Meditator or non meditator, everybody feels intoxiated by its effect.
    It has created dictators, who say, we are only the servents..

would like to share this . .

http://www.messagefrommasters.com/Osho/osho/Osho-on-Aldous-Huxley-LSD.html

Lokesh . . you might definitely have more experience than Osho on this subject . . l happenned to remember Osho speaking on this subject . . and these recorded discourses l have heard in Buddha hall during early 90′s . . so it is not just clicking on the internet . . & so l shared it . . l guess experience of any kind is very individual in that sense . . and sharing is therapeutic for me . . :)