PHILOSIA (20 posts)

• Profile picture of bodhi vartan bodhi vartan said 6 years, 7 months ago:

The magic of the internet is that first you need to know what you are looking for, before you can even start looking for it. Call me old-fashioned but I haven’t heard the word ‘philosia’ before a couple of months ago. It was here on SN, in reference to Anando’s (hopefully) forthcoming book, Osho: The Philosia of Existence*

In “The Great Pilgrimage: From Here to Here” (1987) “Philosia… the path of the mystic” has its own chapter, Chapter 21. In Chapter 25, Osho also uses the word to describe how his sannyasins ‘should’ view each other. Basically, philosia is pure seeing, unhindered by the projecting and judgmental mind. (By this point Osho is claiming the word his own.)

In “Zen: Zest, Zip, Zap and Zing” (1981) he dedicates the last chapter to it (only it is spelled philousia). He talks about the three Ls of “his personal philosia” – life, love and laughter.

In “The True Sage” ‘On Jesus’ (1975) it gets a mention and Osho repeats that SIA means ‘see’,

In “The Eternal Quest” ‘On Kabir’ (1967) Osho says that the term was first coined by Herman Hesse.

Let’s look at the word:

philo = friend, love
    sia = There is no such word, and most definitely DOES NOT mean ‘see’ or have anything to do with vision.
    osia = blessed

Now let’s go back to that small detail in “Zen: Zest, Zip, Zap and Zing” where philosia is spelled philousia.

Ousia = essence, nature, substance (today we would call it -isness)
    Philousia = love of substance
    Philousin = to love

What I am offering below is heady stuff by Aryan white supremacists describing themselves and their opposition

“… this rationalism seems to have flourished only briefly and during the period before Aryan dominance was seriously threatened, after which the ‘philousian’ mentality so prevailed in the conglomerate population of India that the Hindus provide Haas with his neatest example of it, and faith in the supernatural made the physical world seem nugatory and even illusory.”

Professor William S. Haas in his fundamental ‘Destiny of the Mind’ (New York, 1956)

http://whitelocust.wordpress.com/the-enemy-of-our-enemies-a-critique-of-francis-parker-yockeys-the-enemy-of-europe/

“Ours is what Haas terms the philosophical mentality, and, to use his example, an Aryan who thought that he saw himself in the clouds would be rightly adjudged insane, but, as he shows, persons who have been born with a philousian mentality can do so and are sane in terms of the innate conformation of their racial mind, which is basically beyond our comprehension, although we may observe its effects in their conduct.

It is uncertain how long the Aryan (philosophical) mentality persisted in India after it was finally mongrelized by Buddhism and the dominant mentality became what Haas termed philousian, which is capable, by some mental operation incomprehensible to us, of seeing itself in the clouds, the sun, and the whole living universe, of which it feels itself a part.”

http://www.revilo-oliver.com/rpo/RPO_NewChrist/chap8.htm

http://vnnforum.com/showthread.php?t=29194

There are even implications that the “philousian mind” might be entirely alien. Just don’t let the Xtians get hold of any of this. Hehe.

Elsewhere recently on this very forum I have said that god to the ancient Greeks was “the giver of names”.

Vartan

Anando’s Philosia project is analysed here (use online translation)

http://www.osho.be/New-Osho-NL/Meditation/Anando%20Interview%202.pdf

• Profile picture of frank frank said 6 years, 7 months ago:

i hear the word “euro” means “piss” in greek.

words count for a lot.

i dont really think “philosia” will catch on.

for me.”….osia” doesnt really cut it in english.

sounds too vague.
    like a drunk who cant finish his sentence
    “phil-ouzo-ya”

or its too wafty.like it could mean mean “love of candy floss”
    or something like that.

sounds like “loser”,too.

philosia–a philosophy for losers?
    (only they can win in this game)

its possible.

and then,theres phallousia…
    that sounds like something out of “50 shades of grey.”

reminds me of a german guy i knew.
    he found out i was interested in philosophy.east and west.
    he thought about it deeply for a moment and he said,
    “ya.if you dont have a porsche,i guess you need a philosophy”

If anybody else but Osho was saying it, I wouldn’t have given it a second thought. I think it can work as an adjective.

Vartan

vartan,
    i think you`re right.

eg. sannyasnews is a genuinely philosian environment

and maybe as a noun.

we are all philosians here.

philosia reminds me of another greekish word that has never caught on…
    psychopomp.
    osho was definitely a psychopomp by definition
    but the word just doesnt sound right.
    it gives an image of a pompous psycho poncing around in his pomp.

or maybe the title of a forgotten 70s concept album by a breakaway member of spinal tap?

hypnopompia…..
    thats another one.
    how many people want to admit that they start everyday with a bit of hypnopompia?
    sounds a bit carry-on.

was philosia something that came out of the nitrous sessions?

reminds me of the story,you must have heard it…
    of william james,the guy who,according to osho coined the term “oceanic” to describe the feeling of “osho”.
    william james was high on nitrous oxide(which he was quite keen on)and at a certain moment he became convinced that he had had an exceedingly profound insight into the nature of the universe. excitedly,he wrote it down… in the drugged state he could so easily forget.
    when he came down from his trip he looked at the piece of paper and on it was written:
    “higamous hogamous
    man is polygamous
    higamous hogamous
    woman is monogamous.”

the moral of the story?

the drugs dont work,i guess.

I am nor sure when Our Friend started using N2O. What I tried to show above was, one, that he first used the term in 1967 (probably long before the N2O use) and, two, that the term was already being used as “philousia” and H. Hesse was perhaps using an existing term rather than inventing it.

My initial feeling is that both H.Hesse (already a appreciator of eastern mysticism) and somebody like Professor Haas (essentially a racist nazi) picked up ‘a local term’ that best described the nature of the Buddha in the Zorba the Buddha construct.

Vartan

• Profile picture of Deleted User said 6 years, 7 months ago:

It started around 1977 from what i heard, sources included those close to him and the old Bombay sannyasins living and working there. one swami remarked to me, back in 1982, that over time osho was saying and behaving bizarrely.. peaking around 1980.. guess being high on NO2 most of the time destroys one’s brain cells– Yes, buddhas do have brain cells and need them to communicate to us low lives.

• Profile picture of Lokesh Lokesh said 6 years, 7 months ago:

Well, Vartan, back in the early seventies I tried laughing gas plenty of times. First time I took it I was impressed enough to do it again and again and again. It was fun, but too much gave me a terrible headache and I can imagine that prolonged use could cause brain damage. It is a very sensory high and there can be cosmic moments but nothing like the prolonged effects of good quality psychedelics. On that level it is kid’s stuff and I’m surprised Osho developed a taste for it.
    You say, ‘I knew Osho was at it, I would have given it a good bash just to see where he was at. ‘
    With an attitude like that it is just as well the old boy didn’t develop a taste for smack, or you might of ended up riding with the king.

lokesh- now that explains a lot of things coming from you.. you obviously are still suffering from those terrible headaches- try some shiatsu – works wonders.

vartan- alcohol, pot, acid, crack, smack,powder cocaine, ecstasy, and yes, nitrous, destroy brain cells, even after one use.. not many but over time and with increased amounts and usage, the number increases dramatically- a medical, and scientific fact, or are you one of fanatics that osho talks about who doesn’t believe in medical science? don’t take my word for it- look it up yourself or are you afraid your bubble will burst?

• Profile picture of Lokesh Lokesh said 6 years, 7 months ago:

Baba, I don’t suffer from headaches unless I’m doing a lot of crack, but that is easily remedied by a speedball. I suggest you try valium…it might help you relax. As for all those chips on your shoulder, I suggest poyfilla or fibre glass. Get well soon.

can’t take valium- did so much in the past that i’m now immune.. though sex on a daily basis works well, but i’m running out of women.. mind if you send over your wife? i’ll be gentle.

Babasvetlana, at my place of work there are some of us around the age 60 and quite a few young ones in their 20s.. My advice to the young ones is, look around at the old ones who have lived naughty lives, and at the ones who have lived clean lives, and make up your own decisions. I speak from experience, so don’t quote me government paid stooges. Recently, there was a link on this forum to an ecstasy documentary which said loud and clear that the government scientist falsified the results. I am in no way advocating drug use, especially these modern synthetics. But I cannot stress enough that there is a huge difference between use and abuse

Lokesh thanks for you frank reply. Drugs affect different ppl differently. I wonder if Osho ever done coke? I can imagine him in one of his Rollers, his diamond watch, white chick, listening to rap and giving us the thumbs up. When I first got into sannyas I was told He used to listen to Sinatra on His drive-bys and I went and bought the complete Sinatra collection. I must have been on drugs. Shit, I just dropped a brain cell. Oh no, I am safe, as I don’t do drugs.

Vartan