Osho had a wild dog for a diciple (27 posts)

• Profile picture of Deleted User said 7 years, 8 months ago:

I found this tale from Ma Dharm Jyoti`s 100 Tales for Ten Thousand Buddhas:
    Tale 40

Osho is conducting a meditation camp at Matheran hill station. Near about five hundred people are participating in the camp. He is staying at Rugby Hotel which has a big open ground in the middle where the camp is arranged.

One dog comes regularly and sits silently near the podium while Osho is speaking. I watch him. He comes a little early and has reserved his seat near the podium on the floor. He sits at the same place every day like a great meditator and looks very attentive with his ears raised while Osho is speaking.

When Osho comes and namastes everyone, he raises his neck and looks at Osho and Osho greets him with a great smile. It is the fourth morning today and Osho is standing at arrived at the station to see Him off. I am surprised to see this dog standing near Osho. Osho looks at the dog with such love that he starts wagging his tail.

After a few minutes, this mini train running between Matheran and Neral station is about to leave. Osho namastes everyone and enters the train. The train starts slowly, everyone has left except the dog who is walking with the train. The train picks up speed and the dog starts running with the train. Osho is watching him running and with the gesture of his hand blesses him and tells him to stop running.

The dog stops and looks up at Osho. I can’t resist waving my hand towards him saying good-bye. Osho remarks, “He is a very evolved soul.”

The whole book can be read at http://www.messagefrommasters.com/Masters/100_Tales_For_10,000_Buddhas/One_Hundred_Tales_For_Ten_Thousand_Buddhas.htm
    or http://www.oshoworld.com/tales/introduction.asp

• Profile picture of frank frank said 7 years, 8 months ago:

that`s a great story…
    osho must have had a quick peek in the canine ahashik records…..
    he would have known dogs make better disciples than humans!
    i speak from experience,as,in india, quite a few pye dogs accepted me as their guru…
    a chapati and a couple of glucose biscuits as an initiation,and you`re talking unlimited devotion….
    i never had the same results with humans…..
    ungrateful crowd…..

• Profile picture of Lokesh Lokesh said 7 years, 8 months ago:

Ramana had an enlightened cow as a friend. Shree Yogendra Mahasiddhi had an enlightened chicken and many claimed to have mystical experiences while sitting beside the bird. Baba Ramputri Satyartrum initiated Bubbles, a whistling goldfish, into his small groiup of disciples, after Bubbles whistled a tune from the Maha Baratha, while the yogi was swimming in a Himalayan stream, one sunny afternoon in 1876. Gurdieff often spoke about this amazing fish in discourses given at the Priory in France. Meher Baba had a talking dog that he bought for five rupees in Cafe Bund, Poona. The previous owner wanted to get rid of the dog because it was a compulsive liar. And I think to myself, what a wonderful world…

i didn’t know they smoked crack back then.

ramana maharshi was famously called in to settle fights between combative red-faced monkeys in his ashram……
    he would have been a useful guy to have around the sannyas circles,too….

sheela would have banned the old guy, or maybe force him to watch his sister getting screwed by some Dutch boy with tats all over his arms.

• Profile picture of dharmen dharmen said 7 years, 8 months ago:

banned maybe, or laced tea, but she didn’t approve of therapy!

Ramana also had a pet dog
    What a coincidence!

http://bhagavan-ramana.org/jackie.html

Yes, Prem this indeed is fascinating. Very few know about Bah Bah, the black sheep, who Osho declared enlightened after Bah Bah left the body in 1976. Bah Bah’s samadhi is near the Bund River burning ghats. A few old Indian sanyassins still go there and meditate at sunset because of the powerful vibrations eminatting from the small shrine. Osho once declared that he wished more of his disciples were like Bah Bah.

Is this Bah Bah the same as Ali BaBa?
    He has my greatest respects.

Shirdi Sai baba didn`t have a dog diciple,but he morphed himself into a dog.
    I discovered this when I read this small story from one of his diciples:

Baba Fed Sumtuously, How?
    Once, Mrs. Tarkhad was staying in a certain house in Shirdi. At noon, meals were ready and dishes were being served, when a hungry dog turned up there and began to cry. Mrs. Tarkhad got up at once and threw a piece of bread, which the dog gulped with great relish. In the afternoon, when she went to the Masjid and sat at some distance, Sai Baba said to her, “Mother, you have fed Me sumptuously up to my throat, My afflicted pranas (life-forces) have been satisfied. Always act like this, and this will stand you in good stead. Sitting in this Masjid I shall never, never speak untruth. Take pity on Me like this. First give bread to the hungry, and then eat yourself. Note this well.” She could not at first understand the meaning of what Baba said. So she replied, “Baba, how could I feed You? I am myself dependent on others and take my food from them on payment.” Then Baba replied — “Eating that lovely bread I am heartily contended and I am still belching. The dog which you saw before meals and to which you gave the piece of bread is one with me, so also other creatures (cats, pigs, flies, cows etc.) are one with me. I am roaming in their forms. He, who sees Me in all these creatures is my beloved. So abandon the sense of duality and distinction and serve Me, as you did today.” Drinking these nectar-like words, she was moved, her eyes were filled with tears, her throat was choked and her joy knew no bounds.

Bah Bah did not like dogs, not even enlightened ones.

prem- you’ve been gulping down bread made with ganja- next time try pita bread with humus spread- maybe you’ll turn into a greek

Dipa Ma had a wild dog that used to bite her while she was meditating:

`Dipa Ma’s first retreat did not go as she expected. Once at the centei she was given a room and basic instruction. She began to practice in the early morning hours, first focusing her attention on the breath, then noting the sensations, thoughts, and emotions arising in her body and mind as she sat. As the day wore on, her concentration deepened. That afternoon, she started to walk to the meditation hail to meet with her teacher. Suddenly she stopped, unable to move. She wasn’t sure why she only knew that she couldn’t go forward or pick up her foot. She stood there, puzzled but not particularly distressed, for several minutes. Finally she looked down and saw that a large dog had clamped its teeth around her leg. Her concentration had become so deep, even in the first hours of practice, that she had not felt it.

Jolted from her concentrated state, Dipa Ma called for help and tried to shake her leg free. The dog would not let go, but finally some monks managed to pull it away Even though they assured her that the animal was not rabid, Dipa Ma was afraid of dying—ironically, since she’d come to the meditation center to die and she made her way to a hospital where she was given the first of a series of daily rabies injection. `
    From `Dipa Ma Legacy of a Buddhist Master` by Amy Schmidt

oh yeah,yogis and dogs are natural enemies..
    like the spider and the fly
    or the snake and the mongoose….

i remember watching one pye dog,who sat close by while one western yoga freak ran through his fancy sequence of yoga asanas on a beach in southern india,waiting patiently until the wannabe yogi got himself into the full headstand ,then he started ripping all hell out of the yogis bag…
    the yogi didnt want to break his routine,so there he is on his head powerlessly shouting and the dog a couple of feet away shaking the bag like a dead rabbit,all his stuff flying around the sand and enjoying every second of it….

in all the dog/yogi encounters i witnessed,it was the yogis who always got angry,never the dogs….
    the dogs were having the time of their life…
    to anyone with even a modicum of spiritual awakening,it was clear who the advanced souls were….